kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What kind of roaches?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by iwana on April 23, 2003 at 09:11:53:

In Reply to: roaches as feeders posted by herpluver on April 23, 2003 at 08:06:02:

I'm assuming you mean the giant hissing roaches? If so, I wouldn't say they're easier than crickets. They need to be kept warm to breed and can climb vertical surfaces (even glass), which makes them quite the escape artists. You can avoid this by putting a layer of vaseline on the top of their enclosure, but you would be amazed at how quickly the nimphs can move and we have seen some glide right over the vaseline and out into the appartment! For this reason, you also need to make sure the enclosure you put them in for feeding is absolutely escape-proof.

The other downside is that they do not breed nearly as much as crickets (only 30-40 nimphs at a time, compared to crix which produce 100s). So they would only be useful as an extra feed source, rather than a main one.

However, they are *much* cleaner and more pleasant to keep than mealworms and crickets. Even when their enclosure is more than half soiled with feces, there is absolutely no foul odor to be noted. They are also not cannibalistic so you don't have all these dead bodies to clean out as is the case with crix. I do agree that crix are really gross. :-P

My two cents. :-)

:i was wondering if anyone use's roaches as feeders for their beardys? they seem to be easyier than crix. i also plan on useing silk worms. i don't like crix and meal worms.

:thanks for the help

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]