kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Swiss Websters ~ Champion Chewers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by franklin edwards on April 08, 2003 at 00:16:11:

In Reply to: Swiss Websters ~ Champion Chewers posted by sasheena on April 07, 2003 at 23:21:39:

Are you sure you got swisses?

As my are doing great and have about 15 to 28 babies at a time. And I haven't had any chew through any thing. But my racks have no edges that they could chew if they tried

:Well my Swiss Webster colony is going great. Except that they've destroyed about 8 cages altogether. My small rack bins, my large rack bins, my small critter keepers, my large ones. They don't go very far, are usually hanging out on top of their cage as if to say that they are proud of their accomplishment. the only time I've ever had them NOT return to their cage was when ANOTHER escaped mouse (been chasing it for a week) found the chewed through lid of their cage and took up residence. Thus the swissies were left wandering all around my mouse room, looking lost and afraid. Anyone else have this problem with Swissies? They are also not nearly as prolific as I was led to believe. AND if those mice are afraid of heights, then I'm mother goose. Little buggers climb every bit of cage furniture i give them in their 10-gallon aquarium (the only cage they can't chew their way out of). Silly critters.

:If anyone has had both Swissies and ICR, how would you all compare them? I have one ICR mouse, and started with 2.4 swiss websters. The ICR has shown herself as much more fertile and consistant than the swissies. Teh swiss websters have eaten litters, been sterile and a number of other problems.

:Anyway, with the disputes of the day hopefully sinking into oblivion, I thought I would see if anyone else had any comments about swiss websters and ICR mice. And before you ask, I did get them from a lab mouse supplier. (Simonsen Labs, in Gilroy California, they're shipping me a new male swiss webster to replace the sterile one)

:~Sasheena

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]