kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Outsmarted by a snake.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]

Posted by Marwhal on January 02, 2003 at 01:17:26:

As you know I recently got my first pit, a southern pine. You all talk about the pit atitide. I think I'd call it the pit intelligence. I've never had a snake as clever as this one.
I sometimes allow a snake to crawl accross the floor with one hand on it near the tail in order to measure. I've never had a problem with this. I was doing this with my pine when she suddenly did a sort of head fake to the right. Not being used to jerky snakes and since this one in paricular has never really jerked on me before it caught me by surprise. In my stupidity I let go of the tail and reached for where I though she was going. I wasn't alone as my neighbor was watching. Well, we both must have blinked at the same time because the next thing we knew we were staring at a blank piece of carpet and my empty hands. It took over an hour and a half to find her and extract her from the baseboard radiator which has sharp fins along the pipe that she was holding on to. Luckily my neighbor was ther and offered an extra set of hands to get her out. Unfortunately due to my stupidity the snake sustained a couple of superficial scrathes and one of them bled a little. I soaked her and then cleaned th wounds with hydrogen peroxide and am now refraining from handling her for a week while she recovers from her adventure.
Anyway this is just a warning of how fast a snake can move and to their intelligence. They may not be all that smart, but they sure are good at what they do.

P.S. Please do not post any followups chastising me for my stupidity. I understand the mistake I made and it won't happen again.
Marwhal

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]