kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tiger Salamander lost & found story.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]

Posted by Russell G on January 21, 2002 at 19:26:21:

Several years ago when I still lived at home with the parents, I had a couple of tiger salamanders for pets. Some of the coolest amphibians you could ever own. One day I came home from work to find the bigger one missing from his tank. Tigers are pretty burly little things and I guessed he must have pushed the lid open somehow and made a break for it. As one normally does when an animal gets loose, I completely tore my room apart and then expanded my search from there. I looked everywhere (or so I thought at the time), but to no avail. After a couple of days of looking I gave up hope. I figured that if dehydration didn't get him, one of our cats would. On the third day after he got out, I was sitting on the couch watching tv, when from the garage I heard my mom start screaming for me to get out there. She had been taking a load of laundry out of the washing machine when she saw something squirming around at the bottom. To our complete and utter amazement, there was my tiger salamander. He had gotten mixed in with my laundry and had gone for a ride in the washing machine. I carefully picked him up and looked him over. He looked back at me with that stoney 'mander look that he always wore, maybe just a little more wide eyed. I carried him back to his tank and put him back in with his girlfriend. He started swimming around like nothing had happened. I tossed him a cricket to see if he would eat. He gobbled it up and ate three or four more before crawling up on his rock to take a nap. I was completely speachless. I am still in awe of his ability to survive a ride in the washing machine. Can you imagine what the spin cyled must have been like? He lived for many more years after that and never showed any visible signs of trauma from his big adventury.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]