kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Look Twice! Look again!! Look once more!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]

Posted by brandon powell on January 17, 2002 at 20:49:05:

about a year and a half ago, my wife went to the Arlington Herp Expo, and much to my umm... suprise would be a polite term, i guess, She bought 2 snakes, a little oketee corn snake for me,and a honduran milksnake for her.. at the time, i was phobic about snakes, and had no desire to keep one as a pet, but just a couple days with my little fellow changed my tune, at least as far as corn snakes. Madison is a delightful little fellow, with a great personality,who has only struck at me once, and hissed at me once, both on the 3rd time i handled him, and never again (learned what a hungry snake looks like :) )

anyhow, "Tangerine", my wife's honduran milk snake is a different matter.. she knows she looks like a coral snake, and she plays on it constantly.. she likes to make a violent display of her colors, then strike and chew, as if to work a pair of rear fangs into you, even down to that "side of the mouth" type chewing i've seen corals do on nature shows.

well, it was less than a month before i came home from work to find Tangerine's aquarium empty, the lid off. i alerted my wife, who advised me she had just cleaned the cages, so the escape must have happened in the last hour. we searched the room, taking everything off the floor, checking all the drawers, etc.. finally, it got to the point that we were certain she was outside our room, somewhere else in the house, so i went to my little rubbermaid dresser to get my sweatpants out, with the idea that i would be crawling around on all fours, looking under every piece of furniture and every cabinet in the house.. there, curled up inside the leg of my sweats, was Tangerine.. this was a tense situation for me, as i am really quite intimidated by this snake, and she knows it. i had checked all the drawers, my wife had checked them 2 times, once while i was watching, leafing through the clothes like pages in a book, and yet we both missed her. so the moral of the story is, look once more! snakes are tricky, and unless you eliminate EVERY possiblilty, and remove all possible hiding spaces ( i.e, every piece of clothing in your dresser and closet, every piece of paper on your desk) they could be right under your nose, (or something even more sensitive!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]