kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Naja nigricollis crawshayi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by conservationist on March 08, 2003 at 17:48:40:

In Reply to: Re: Naja nigricollis crawshayi posted by Jeremy G on February 10, 2003 at 20:17:50:

I agree.. It sounds like they are Naja N Nigricollis. I just wanted to point out that if you buy CB babies, they tend to hardly ever spit after a few months and get very calm (atleast mine have been like that). I've been told that wildcaught juveniles/adults tend to be a handful, spitting at anything and everything....

I like to call these "boas" of the elapid world. They not only get huge, but they can eat stuff (very large prey) that you wouldn't believe.

:Hi Brad,
:It sounds to me just to be plain ol Naja nigricollis nigricollis. I have seen some adults which were very shiny blk dorsaly but most tend to be much more faded then what their belly and head keeps.

:BTW, I am still not sure whether there are other ssp which look similar to the nominate yet have differnces that require ssp specification but I would be wary if someone is trying to push this snake off for more then it is. What would be the price he/she is asking, if im not prying too deep? If its over $150.00(for an adult! Babies are going much cheaper)then I personaly wouldnt pay it unless he/she can proove its origins are other then the common nominate ssp.

:In any case, they are very interesting snakes but do require alot of respect! Some are very spitty, others tend to act alomost like a mamba with their sketchy demeanor and their damn near as fast too! These guys are definately more of a handfull then most if not all of the Asian stuff so be extreamly carefull when handleing them(duh! :-)

:Good luck on your Naja search and hopefully the person does have something unique though I am lead to belive its just the plain ol blk neck.

:Take care,
:Jeremy

:
:::I belive that ssp is no longer valid or as you mentioned, was never fully excepted. Though I cant think of any of the currently regonised ssp at the moment, I know that name isnt one of them. What did the person you are reciveing them from say they looked like? A pyhsical discription or common name will help in us giveing you info.

:::The one thing I do know is Naja nigricollis nigricollis obtains the largest size and is the biggest spitter there is. The others tend to be much smaller. There is a brown phase which may be a seperate ssp and it obtains upwards of 7ft in length but I belive this is just a form of N.n.nigricollis.

:::Try to get us a discription for better info.

:::All the best,
:::Jeremy

:::
::::I am getting some black neck spitters that are supposed to be of the crawshayi subspecies. I cannot find much info on these animals other than it is not widely accepted as a subspecies.Does anyone have any knowledge of them ie. range,size,do they change color as they get older? Thanks

:::
:::Thanks for your response. I was told that they are mat black dorsally,shiny black ventrals, shiny black head, and a bright red band around the throat. Thanks for any more help.
:: Brad

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]