kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some advice.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on June 05, 2002 at 17:37:51:

In Reply to: Homechool projects! posted by Amy on June 05, 2002 at 10:46:48:

There is hardly any reptile or amphibian that can live comfortably in a 10 gallon. Never think in terms of how small a container you can fit an animal, look at how much space you have. A 20 g high would be a minimum for any lizard. Consider looking into an anole, some types of geckos make good starter pets too.

Here are some things you should know before purchasing any animal (I realize that not all of these will pertain to you)...
-Children can not be expected to take care of animal on their own
-Any amphibian and most small lizards can not be "played" with. Most will escape and are at risk of injury from a child without well developed motor control (no, tails don't grow back as easy as everyone thinks). Some kids loose interest in an animal they can only look at.
-Most all reptiles and amphibians are long lived animals. Common treefrogs can live from 5-20 yrs, anoles can last around 5 yrs.
-Also consider medical care, as herps are deserving of a healthy life just as much as any pet (sadly, most people consider herps to be disposable pets). Ensure you have at least $50 for a vet visit, and another $50 for any treatment.
-Herps require a large startup cost, tank, lid, clips, heat lamp, UV bulbs, substrate, etc. Most of the time these accessories are a one time cost, but they can be prohibitive.
-No matter what animal you decide, make sure you do LOTS of research (no impulse buys). There should be no surprises even with a new animal.

Nevertheless, I commend you for being such an enthusiastic mother. Unfortunately, my parents never supported me on any of my own interests and I didn't get serious about herpetology until my early 20's. It's too bad I didn't have parents like you, or else I could have gotten started earlier and would have had a much smaller learning curve.

*Humans aren't the only species on earth... we just act like it.

*"In the end we will conserve only what we love;
we will love only what we understand;
and we will understand only what we are taught."

Baba Dioum,
Senegalese ecologist

*"The rattlesnake may be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack, or, when once engaged, never surrenders. She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity & true courage. She never wounds until she has generously given notice even to her enemy, and cautioned against the danger of treading upon her."
-- Pennsylvania Journal, December 1775

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]