kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Herp Cruelty - Fear Factor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]

Posted by Joe on March 11, 2002 at 20:44:08:

Did any of you see Fear Factor tonight? They showed one contestant slamming snakes into a container. They even showed one of the injured snakes. I know Hollywood is desperate, but this is really too much. Below is the email address to Fear Factor and a copy of the email I sent them. Feel free to use it, and if you don't mind, post this or send it to people/groups that may be interested in stopping this crap.

Joe

FearFactor@nbc.com

To Whom:

I'm writing to express my concern for the level of cruelty shown to the snakes on your show that aired March 11th.
I've kept reptiles and amphians for 30 years and know that the Elaphe and Lampropeltis species being slammed into the
box on this show where severly injured. Prior to a station break you even showed a close up of snake that had been
injured - it's jaw was clearly traumatized by a severe blow. There is no doubt that many of the snakes were injured
during this particular stunt.

I'm sure you have a vet or other animal "expert" who pretends to be able to judge the risk these animals face. But it
was very clear to me and to anyone else even marginally knowledgable about snakes that they were in fact severly
injured, so please don't patronize me with these defenses.

There is no logical reason to treat snakes with any less respect than we would rabbits, cats or puppies. I can scarcely
imagine a TV show that would have contestants slamming puppies into a box, so why is it OK to do so to snakes? By
marketing this animal abuse your sending a message to many kids in this country that cruelty to animals is valid
entertainment.

Please stop this animal abuse!

Sincerely,

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: