kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ideas if *you* are the teacher =)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]

Posted by Rebecca on November 08, 2001 at 05:20:25:

In Reply to: Re: Ideas if *you* are the teacher =) posted by Carla on October 14, 2001 at 13:52:17:

I don't keep snakes at school because of the rules (laws?) about salmonella and reptiles in the classroom. However, as guidelines..... how old are your kids? How secure is your room, and how secure would the cage be? My big concern if I was able to keep snakes at school would be kids coming into the room when I was not there. Do you already have the snake(s) or would this be a purchase specifically for your class? That'd make a difference too in terms of what sorts of advice you need.

Something else to consider is substitute teachers! I am not out often but when I am it's been occasionally traumatic for the subs to deal with the giant millipedes and hissers, mealworms, etc. that I do keep there. If there was a sub who was phobic about snakes this might be a concern. I don't mean to be negative as I know there are many, many teachers who successfully keep snakes in the classroom. I wish I could! But since I can't, I just bring them in to visit a few times a year.

Hope this helps.... this forum can be slow, but I hope you get more feedback! There are some webrings for educators who keep pets in their classrooms, feel free to email me private if you'd like the URL's. :)

Rebecca

:
: I am a teacher in Arizona. I have a few live animals in the classroom right now. I would like to have a snake in the classroom. Any tips, ideas, advice???

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]