return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Heretelogical colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kw on April 12, 2000 at 23:16:12:

In Reply to: Heretelogical colleges posted by Jason on April 11, 2000 at 15:10:39:

: I am interested in becoming a herpetologist of some kind. Im thinking either a breeder or I might like to study in the field.
: Can anyone recommend some better colleges for herpetology?
: Please e mail me.
: Thanks,
: Jason

Jason: There is actually no college that offers a degree in herpetology. What you need to do is go to college and get a bachelors degree (4 year degree) in biology or ecology or even in animal science. Next step, you need to go to graduate school to get a Masters degree or a Doctoral degree (PhD). In choosing a graduate school, you want to choose one that has active herpetologists teaching and researching there. Once in graduate school you will choose a field of expertise that interests you, such as Ecology, Anatomy, Systematics, etc. Since you are interested in herps, this will be the animals you study. See a herpetologist is really just a scientist who works in a particular field and uses reptiles as his study animals. An example is Harry Greene (Author of a wonderful book entitled "Snakes: The Evolution of Mystery in Nature") is actually an Ecologist who works with snakes and the ecology of snakes. As for what you term a "breeder", that is what we call a herpetoculturist and although a degree would help you, it is not necessairily needed. I can't help you too much on the breeding aspect, but there are many people on Kingsnake.com that can get you started in that direction. As for herpetology, I've listed some of the bigger schools that have herpetologists working at them, that you may look into attending. Once you narrow down the schools, find out what herpetologists are there and what their areas of expertise are, so that you can match yourself where you will be most happy. Once there, learn as much as you can because it can be a difficult field to work in. Good luck and email me if you have any other questions!
University of Florida
University of Texas
University of Texas at Arlington
University of Kansas
University of Miami
Cornell University
University of California Berkely
Pennsylvania State University
University of Oklahoma
Louisiana State University
Auburn University
Clemson University
Remember, many universities have herpetologists, the above schools are just the most active (past and present).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]