return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Educational Indigos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sherry on November 29, 1999 at 20:23:27:

In Reply to: Re: Educational Indigos posted by Steve on November 24, 1999 at 00:05:02:

:Are you the same Steve from the Indigo forum who just bought a red-throat Indigo from Robert Seib? My zoo is planning to buy our Indigo from him. Thank-you so much for your reply. When we finally get our Indigo and when it gets out of quarantine at the zoo vet clinic and finally comes to live in the education department, I think it will be at least a month or two after that before the snake goes any farther than our adjoining class room for any programs that we have. I think we'll wait until we have a few people pretty comfortable showing the snake before we take it out in the van (well secured in a cooler with duct tape) to any programs. You're in Pennsylvaina right? Here in Alabama it may be mild enough to take the Indigo out even in the winter months with a warm hot-water bottle or a pre-warmed (unplugged) heating pad. Right now our only education snake is a very mellow corn snake. We also have a Dumeril's Ground Boa that has been in quarantine for quite some time that we're looking forward to working with (although it is currently reported to be quite feisty and will need time and patience before it is tame enough to handle for any educational programs.

My thoughts go as concerned for the indigo or any snake that is carted off for exhibit. Please gain a vast experience in snake handling before attempting to cart an indigo around because they are very powerful snakes and very capable of getting out of a loosely tied pillow case and also can go off their feed if exposed to cold temps. I would actually tell your boss that this is not the thing to do in the winter, but he will not want to hear it and also watch the snake as if it gets too stressed let it rest for a few days. Once you have managed to handle a big indigo and know their vital temperature and other creature comforts, you will find it easier to display and educate folks. A week with the indigo will help a lot.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]