kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: TPWD Gassing Regulations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by Carl Franklin on February 19, 2002 at 10:47:28:

In Reply to: TPWD Gassing Regulations posted by Dale Burton on February 18, 2002 at 18:59:50:

Hi Dale,

I think the best way to find out about Mr. Herron is to ask him.

You are absolutely right about the gasoline issue. Unfortunately, there is a technical loophole with the TNRCC Texas Administration Code Title 30, part 1, chapter 334, subchapter D, Rule 334.75 covers Reporting and Cleanup of Surface spills and Overfills. In this section there is nothing regarding the use of a garden sprayer or hunting wildlife. Also Chapter 327 further states that spills of 210 gallons need to be reported. As wrong as it is there is simply no real law against dumping less than 210 gallons of gasoline into the ground!

Personally I am rather skeptical of the Fitzgerald and Painter report as any type of effective model for these events in Texas. The main reason for this is that there is no proof that the rattlesnakes are taken from any given exact locality.

Sadly the bottom line is money and commradere. The Sweetwater Jay Cees are active with the state and their regulatory board. Also if I had an event that raised $250,000 in a single weekend I imagine that I could receive a bit of political influence as well. So I sincerely feel that the "root" of the issue lies within money combined the fact that 99% of the world hates snakes. Collectively we should change our attitudes towards roundups and separate ourselves from the event emotionally. By doing so I feel it is easier to have a credible edge on formulating a plan. Also anyone who comes across as a rattlesnake "bunnyhugger" is sumarily dismissed as a moron unless they too can raise $250,000 in a weekend.

According to conversations that I've had with various TPWD officials they are only acting out as expected in their capacity as "public servant". Basically what that means is the majority of the people out there don't care if the events take place.

Oh how things would be different had it been a large mouth bass that tempted eve with the fruit of knowledge and evil.

It is also interesting to note that while hobbyist and researchers are required permits for their particular endeavors, recent word is that the Sweetwater Jay Cees were only required 1 single permit to cover the activities of all their participants! That's right one non-game permit for all 3-4,000 snakes last year! I hope that last bit puts a burr in the saddles of any gray band enthusiast or field herper in general.

Saludos,

Carl Franklin

Carl's Creepy Crawlies

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: