kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I Once Rescued an Abandoned Rattler.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by jr on October 13, 2001 at 12:18:38:

I Once Rescued an Abandoned Rattler / by Joe Rigdon.

Once back in 1986, I was called by the Arlington Animal Control to come out to their pound and pick up a Rattler.

The previous owner had left it in a 10g aquarium with a cheap plastic screen secured with cheap plastic clips and a couple of bricks. Arlington Animal Control picked it up, cage and all, at a vacant apartment. I believe the previous owner had skipped rent, left the Rattler, and was long gone.

Thankfully the Rattler had not escaped and no one was hurt. Arlington Animal Control got my name through NTHS and called me. When I arrived, I discovered it was a baby Prairie Rattle Snake - very venomous.

It had a few Gulf Coast Toads hopping around in it's cage. I assume the previous owner was not only irresponsible on keeping & abandoning the rattler, but also ignorant on what to feed it. Hopefully the Police caught up with this person at a later time.

I filled out some paperwork and took the Prairie Rattle Snake home after tranfering it with a hook to a more professional & secure cage made by Bush Herpetological Supply (Neodesha).

I kept the Prairie Rattlesnake for 5 years and it thrived in a safe environment. It ate hundreds of mice and traveled to many shows inside it's securely bolted shut cage.

Then finally after 5 years, I gave it to a good friend that could also professionally maintain it in a safe manner.

The End.
-------------------------------------------------
I do believe we do needs laws restricting the keeping of venomous snakes by just anybody like the one that abandoned this snake. Please feel free to post any comments & rescue stories you can share.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]