kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tarrant county’s new exotic law.....Herps are next.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by Scamp on August 30, 2001 at 14:28:57:

In Reply to: Tarrant county’s new exotic law.....Herps are next. posted by Johneod on August 30, 2001 at 10:29:32:

John,

Thank you for bringing this forward and would prefer that a public debate not be held on DFWHS's Forum. I too watched the news closely regarding this announcement and have concerns regarding its possible impact on herpers.

I would point out that most cities in the DFW area, in fact across the state, already have codes prohibiting private ownership of venomous reptiles and large constrictors(generally enforced only through complaint). Many cities, Dallas included, just say no to reptiles (unfortunately it is easier for city officials to write a no tolerance code in stead of working with informed individuals in the "herp-world" to create something a bit more reasonable). When I lived in Victoria (TX), some people found a diamondback water snake in their pool. A policeman drove by and saw them and gave the father a ticket for illegally possessing a reptile within the City Limits.

I would be interested, personally, to work with a group toward securing the rights of individuals to privately own most herps (I have concerns about venomous herps being held by people living within a city's limites, esp. if proper security measures are not taken).

I happen to live in an unicorporated portion of North Texas outside Tarrant County. And such, these laws do not effect me... yet.

As idividuals, we can contact our County officials and tell them we do not want our local government denying or interfering with the private ownership of all reptiles. Regardless of what city you live in, it is still part of the county and as such those officials work for you too.

The other thing we can do is to discourage that sector of "herp-world" who have large herps, not because of their interest in reptiles, but for the amount of attention it brings them. The guys who "have" to take their Burmese for a "walk" or a "drive". These are the irresponsible individuals that cause anti-herp laws to be passed in the first place.

Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]