kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Blacktail breeders??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by Rich G.cascabel on January 03, 2003 at 23:13:26:

In Reply to: Re: Blacktail breeders?? posted by Blackwater on January 03, 2003 at 14:41:57:

Hey Tom,

I give my babies away but I already have a list of recipients for CB babies that I could never hope to fill.

I would prefer to keep the discussion here on the crote forum if you don't mind, so the info can be available to anyone interested in breeding this species. I read your post on the ven. forum. Like you I have noticed that for some reason there seems to very few crote species bred in the U.S. on a regular basis, (with the exception of albino atrox). I see many adds and such listed as CB but when you pin the people down you usually find out this actually means "captive born". I think this is strange. When it comes to boids and colubrids we have everything down to a surefire formula. But when it comes to crotes even the most knowlegable seem to just house a male and female together and hope for the best. And many have no idea of when a particular species actually breeds or that there is even a lot of variation from one species to another. How many adds have you seen for molossus or Mexican crotes that say " Ready to breed this spring!" when these species actually breed mid summer to fall? Not only do the supposed breeders dealers not know but they are passing on the wrong info to the buyers. I must say I take my hat off to the Europeans. They go the extra mile to figure out what it takes to breed a species and are very successful at it. I am not under the illusion that captive breds can be used to restock the wild, and I have no problems with LEGALLY taking some snakes from the wild for personal use breeding projects. I would though, like to see more shared info and see captive bred crotes become common place. Availability of CB's might help alleviate problems such as people who go to a state with the purpose of collecting a target species, but collect every single crote they see with the intentions of selling it to pay for their trip.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]