kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Another pic of Amelanistic Baja California Rattler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by IndigoBlue1 on October 13, 2002 at 02:00:28:

In Reply to: Re: Another pic of Amelanistic Baja California Rattler posted by goyotle on October 11, 2002 at 14:02:00:

:I know virtually nothing of Rattlers - I'm a corn snake guy, but this looks like a normal Prairie to me! just an opinion, but everybody has two!! lol

But it is none! The whole story is a bit long...I donīt want to bore you with details, only this: I got the parents to perform thermoregulatory research at Marburg University (Germany). I obtained C.enyo because of their small size which makes it easier to handle them during research. I knew that the female was bearing, but I was quite confused a I found juvies this bright. I controlled the whole enclosure and found three other juvies, two normals and two "amels".
The difference is obvious: Normals are more or less grey/black and sandwhite, whereas the other two are light sandwhite with no black, yellow orange dorsal saddles and lightbrown lateral stripes. The tail is whitish as is the beginning rattle.
The iris of the normals is grey with black pupil, whereas the iris of the two abberrant is light blue with a purple pupil (The blue colour of the iris can be seen through the supraocular scales).
Their shedding is without a trace of pattern. (A cornsnake guy definitely knows what this means.)

Moreover I wouldnīt post a pic of a normal prairie and saying this is C.enyo furvus, cause that would be plain stupid. I know that this is C. enyo furvus, cause I keep them and Iīve bred them. Believe it or not.

Mathias

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]