kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I don't know what "snining" is but >>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by JJFeldner on September 08, 2002 at 10:22:13:

In Reply to: Snake Avoidance Training - Our Opportunity to Snine posted by azpowell on September 07, 2002 at 23:28:38:

"I have heard a friend speak of a local dog trainer conducts snake avoidance clases once a week. It was said that they 'defang' the snakes and tape there rattles with duc tape."

<"I want to know if anyone knows or is interested in testing of a way to muzzle a snake? I want to see if there is a way to use sometihing to protect the snake and dog that is easily removable that doesn't injur or kill anything. The thought of sowing the mouth shut is cruel beyond sanity."

<"Also, as an opinion. I think snakes are much safer if we train the dogs with absolute avoidance techniques and thus we avoid the dog owner killing in retaliation or revenge all the snakes that are like the one that killed his dog. And this type of life long human behavior is impossible to correct with a dog size shock collar!

AZPowell"

<< I really don't know what you are trying to say in the above quote. The people I have spoken to who want or have had avoidance training for their dog(s) want it for the benefit of the dog(s) and are not interested in killing the snake. In fact, I have relocated a number of rattlers from places where a dog has had training and the owner is delighted that the snake was not killed and that someone was willing to come out to remove the snake from their immediate area.
As for the snakes, unfortunately, they are sometimes killed by dogs in spite of the shock collar and since the mouth is sewn shut, have no real means of defense. The ones who survive are sometimes released after the mouth is freed up. Others are released with the mouth still sewn up and are certain to die.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]