kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How do you keep the lid secure on an aquarium???.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by IcedGoddess on May 12, 2003 at 10:29:32:

In Reply to: How do you keep the lid secure on an aquarium???..... posted by snakecharmer on May 12, 2003 at 00:33:56:

I have 4 20L tanks, and they are made for herps, not fish. They have the hole in the bottom to drain it (for turtles and stuff) but the plug is extremey secure. The screen is chincy, and I have wanted to replace it since day one, since my cat's think snake cages are nice and warm to sit on. But other than the screen strenght, They are perfect, and fit like you described, they slide under the top of the frame, and there's a little latch in the back that you drop on when closed. I haven't had an escape, and Bruce and Ruby have both tried their damnedest to push the lids off, But with those cheesey little latches, the covers stay put!

:
:::I don't want to show my age but years ago aquariums were made with wider edging & the lids had a different type of clip that slid in through the top. Why they changed a good design to a bad I don't know. This is how to make a new 10 gallon virtually escape proof....Use window screening cut a little larger than the top opening of the aquarium, place your metal screen lid over that & put books (not concerned with looks) or bricks on each side. I have had some clips that work well but others that have popped off so I don't rely on them. It all depends on which is more important to you, form or function.
:Good luck!

:
::I'm not sure if those little clip thingies they sell would work well enough. How do you keep screen tops secure on aquariums? I'm still not sure if I will be able to get a snake, since my parents seem completely against it, but I will work on them and see what I can do. I have a spare 10 gallon aquarium and a spare heatlamp, so I was trying to figure out how I would get a screen top secure enough that a cornsnake (master escape artist) would never be able to get out. If I can get a snake, it will most likely be a kingsnake or a cornsnake. I just never want to have it escape. I have a bearded dragon, but you don't have to really worry about them getting out.

::I have heard about ways to like strap the lids on or something. Also, how would I keep the sliding top of one of those critter cages (made by all-glass aquarium)from sliding, because when the snake gets larger, my bearded dragon will have graduated to a larger cage, so I would have a spare 40 gallon breeder sized aquarium I could used. I don't think those cheap adhesive lock things they give with them would hold up to a determined snake.

::Well, just tell me how you keep the lids closed on your snake tanks. Also, if you have any ideas to help convince my parents that I am ready for a snake again (for more info go to the kingsnake forum) please tell me. I have a pretty good plan that I will try, but I need all the help I can get.

::later
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]