kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Lol, mistake in the first line...hehe...correction: F1.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Hurley on May 07, 2003 at 19:26:22:

In Reply to: Results... posted by Hurley on May 07, 2003 at 19:23:51:

:Crossing the F1 normal offspring het for anery, amel, and motley to each other:

:Possible phenotypes expected in the F2's = Normal, Anery, Amel, Motley, Anery Motley, Amel Motley, Snow, Snow Motley

:Expected Genotypes:

:Normal (3/4 AM x 3/4 AN x 3/4 MT = 27/64)
:---> 27/64 Normals (67% chance het am, 67% het an, 67% het mt)

:Anery (3/4 AM x 1/4 an x 3/4 MT = 9/64)
:---> 9/64 Anerys (67% am, 67% mt)

:Amel (1/4 am x 3/4 AN x 3/4 MT) = 9/64)
:---> 9/64 Amels (67% an, 67% mt)

:Motley (3/4 AM x 3/4 AN x 1/4 mt = 9/64)
:---> 9/64 Motleys (67%am,67%an)

:Snow (1/4 am x 1/4 an x 3/4 MT)
:---> 3/64 Snows (67%mt)

:Anery Motley (3/4 AM x 1/4 an x 1/4 mt)
:---> 3/64 Anerys Mots (67%am)

:Amel Motley (1/4 am x 3/4 AN x 1/4 mt)
:---> 3/64 Amel Mots (67%an)

:Snow Motley (1/4 am x 1/4 an x 1/4 mt = 1/64)
:---> 1/64 Snow Mots

:Lessee, that's 27 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 64 of 64...guess that's got em. :)

:Sum up: F1 Normal, het amel, anery, motley x F1 Normal, het amel, anery, motley

:F2 ratios expected:

:27/64 Normals (67%am,an,mt)
:9/64 Anerys (67% am,mt)
:9/64 Amels (67% an,mt)
:9/64 Motleys (67% am,an)
:3/64 Snows (67% mt)
:3/64 Amel Mots (67% an)
:3/64 Anery Mots (67% am)
:1/64 Snow Mots

:Now, if you bred an F1 Normal het am,an,mt back to the anery mot...
:(NO/am,an,mt x AN,MT/ )

:Normals (1/1 AM x 1/2 AN x 1/2 MT = 1/4)
:---> 1/4 Normals het anery and motley, 50% chance het amel

:Anerys (1/1 AM x 1/2 an x 1/2 MT = 1/4)
:---> 1/4 Anerys het motley, 50% chance het amel

:Motleys (1/1 AM x 1/2 AN x 1/2 mt = 1/4)
:---> 1/4 Motleys het anery, 50% chance het amel

:Anery Motleys (1/1 AM x 1/2 an x 1/2 mt = 1/4)
:---> 1/4 Anery Motleys, 50% chance het amel

:...better odds of getting non-normal offspring than and F1 x F1 cross...depends on what you are after. The F1 x F1 has the potential for producing the most variety of morphs, but also has a higher potential of giving you normals. Shrug.

:Of course, should you luck out and get a snow motley out of the deal, breeding it back to an F1 triple het gives a nice variety of morphs with improved ratios for getting an even mix.

:F1 Normal/am,an,mt x Snow Motley
:(NO/am,an,mt x AM,AN,MT/ )
:All odds are 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8 of each variety with known hets. I like this pairing the best of all for producing maximum variety with minimum number of breeders. :)

:Results:

:1/8 Normals (het an,am,mt)
:1/8 Amels (het an,mt)
:1/8 Anerys (het am,mt)
:1/8 Motleys (het am,an)
:1/8 Snows (het mt)
:1/8 Amel Mots (het an)
:1/8 Anery Mots (het am)
:1/8 Snow Mots

:

:Orrrr, you could use a predictor or calculator or punnetts or the like. Whichever works best for you. :) A buddy of mine got me converted from the punnetts to working the odds, and I have to say, it's a whole lot easier than drawing all of those squares and it helps me understand why certain types of crosses always give the same ratios so I don't have to work the numbers every time.

:
:Oh, for clarification of the above if anyone has trouble deciphering:

:In noting a cross like Normal het amel x Amel,
:my shorthand for this cross would be NO/am x AM/ .
:Capitals before the slash = Expressed phenotypes...NO = normal, AM = amel, and so on.
:Lower case after the slash = Heterozygous genes not expressed, but known.
:If there are 'possible hets', I put these in parentheses and add the percentage chance of being het if known.

:So, for example:
:AN/mt (67%am) reads Anery het for motley with a 67% chance of being het for amel.

:Crossing NO/am x AM/ (normal het for amel x amel),
:we know that the normal will throw "AM" (wild type) 1/2 the time,
:and "am" (amel recessive) 1/2 the time.
:We also know that the amel will throw "am" 2/2 = 1/1 = 100% of the time.

:To figure the chances that a hatchling from this pair will be amelanistic, we multiply the chance that the normal will pass on the amel gene (1/2) times the chance the amel will throw the amel gene (1/1).

:1 x 1 = 1
:--- ----- ----
:2 x 1 = 2

:So, the chance that this pair will throw an amel is 1/2. And the chance that they'll throw a normal het amel is 1/2.

:This is a little too much work to go through for just one trait...most of us commit that to memory, but if you are working with 5 traits, for example...it helps. How many squares is that in a punnett square? 1,024 squares? Uh, nothankyou. Hehe, but if you know the genotypes of the parents, you can figure your chance of getting a certain genotype hatchling in seconds.

:If I bred a snow mot het for caramel to an amber mot het amel and anery, for example (as if I had these on hand...doesn't everyone? lol), that's 5 traits to deal with.

:AM,AN,MT/ca x CA,HY,MT/am,an

:Obviously, all the progeny should be motleys of some type, but what if I were to ask myself, "Self? What are my chances of getting a Butter Motley out of this mix?", and I was at work, away from a computer, limited to some scratch paper and a broken green crayon, and just dying to know...I could figure it relatively easily.

:Butter Motley = AM + CA + MT

:So, chances of getting AM, an, CA, hy, MT
:(upper case = animal expresses the trait,
:i.e. is homozygous for the mutation,
:lower case = doesn't express, but may be het)

:= 1/2 AM x 1/2 an x 1/2 CA x 1/1 hy x 1/1 MT
:= 1/8 Butter Motleys

:

:OK, if you actually read through all of that, you deserve a medal. :D Just blame it on my need to procrastinate, rather than packing up to move and cleaning the house. Hehehe. Plus, I admit it, I just like this stuff---don't mind me. ;) Oh, and only scanned through this once, so if there are typos, correct away. :p

:
:Hurley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]