kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

The Reverend RESPONDS!!!! ~ This is fun Serpwidgets!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by snakepimp on May 05, 2003 at 20:53:39:

In Reply to: The Reverend RESPONDS!!!!!!!!! posted by Serpwidgets on May 05, 2003 at 19:36:28:

First of all, on the matter of discrete vs. discreet: The spelling is accepted, but not for the use you put it to. So on one hand I congratulate you for being aware of a word that I occasionally misused, on the other, well...maybe you should read the definitions too. That's what people who are interested in learning do.

dis·crete
adj.
Constituting a separate thing. See Synonyms at distinct.
Consisting of unconnected distinct parts.
Mathematics Defined for a finite or countable set of values; not continuous.

dis·creet
adj.
Marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect.
Free from ostentation or pretension; modest.

The reason that it sounded like I was trying to sound intellectual is because I was in the midst of a personal epiphany. I have a propensity to engage in prolix, that is, polysyllabic garrulity. If big words are threatening to you, then let me assure you that if this forum were less strictly regulated I would have a few 4-letter words that communicated this same sentiment: You are a small-minded devil's advocate with nothing better to do than bash other people's opinions, even when it is clearly stated that they are only that; opinions.
I do however enjoy your willingness to debate, even if your opinions are not really built upon what I have posted.

In all seriousness, I do find this entertaining. I am interested to know what kind of stuff you breed that causes you to rise so strongly to the defense of hybridization. What arguments other than: "I agree, they are different. So what?" do you have in support of your position? Are your opinions based on emotion? I think the answer is obvious.
My "tastes" and "opinions" in this case specifically, are based on evolution, and conservation. I realize that everything anybody says is an opinion, other than "I am aware of my existence." or words to that effect. I have already proposed that we could argue epistemiology all day long, but that is not the point. The point is: look past your selfish desires to see the bigger picture. There you will find the rape of Earth's living resources I so proudly denounce. I admit that my style in the initial post was melodramatic, and perhaps riddled with hyperbole, but it has made us all think a little bit harder about what we feel. I have provided concrete examples of why I believe what I believe, I challenge you to do the same Serpwidgets.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]