kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks everyone- opinions still welcome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by h0mersimps0n on April 22, 2003 at 13:33:34:

In Reply to: First clust= 15 perfect/4 slugs- last minute suggestions? posted by Hurley on April 22, 2003 at 11:57:26:

Going to start downing the temps tonight, see if I can get it back down to 82.

The cups aren't stacked, they are located in each corner of the incubator. I might rotate them once a week inside the incubator but right now I have a cup with a very very slightly dented egg under the viewing window.

going to cut some paper towel and take care of that too...

thanks everyone

Wish me luck I really really really would love to hatch at least 5 of the 15...

::My corn snakes first clutch ever (mine too) was this morning, 15 beautiful white, leathery eggs, and 4 nasty malformed, yellow/blotchy slugs...

::Not to shabby eh?

::Carefully wet the eggs, unbound them enough to fit in my 1:1 moistened vermiculite, left 10% egg viewable, gave one last warm mist over egg, closed top and incubating in hovabator at 86F w/70% humidity.

::Any suggestions beyond whats in the corn manual. I'm pondering the paper-towel trick but unforunately didn't have a long plastic shoebox that would fit in my hovabator so they're all in separate deli cups making it hard to put paper down over.

::I'm nervous about humidity problems, I've had quite the time keeping my gecko eggs away from mold, etc. Any suggestions would be wonderful

::thanks!

:

:I'd be careful with the 86 degrees. That's awfully high. I'd rather shade to too cool, avoid a lot of kinking that way. I personally prefer 82 degrees as ideal. I also wouldn't go too hog wild with over humidifying them, I think most people err to the too wet side of things, more often than not. My incubating medium is just damp to the touch. I keep a paper towel over the eggs. If the towel gets dry, I add moisture to the medium, never directly to the eggs. I also feel the towel helps retain humidity right around the eggs, while still allowing for plenty of air circulation. If you catch an egg starting to lose it's tightness or starting to dimple a little, then they're too dry. Adding a bit of moisture to the medium plumps them right back up within 24 hours.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]