kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Hurley on April 21, 2003 at 17:56:56:

In Reply to: Re: posted by Taceas on April 21, 2003 at 13:21:50:

:Right now I have an amelanistic female. So I guess that leaves me to get either a blizzard male or a charcoal male, correct? I'm not trying to get exclusively blizzards. Anything that crops up would be fun too. =P

If you have an amel female who isn't het for charcoal, you'll want to breed her to a male who is preferrably homozygous for charcoal...so, yeah, a charcoal male, a blizzard male, a charcoal ghost (yummy, growing up a pair of these right now, :), a pewter, whatever. If your gal isn't het for charcoal, then the earliest you'll hatch blizzards is in the F2 using that female.

If blizzards are the most important thing to you then I'd go with a blizzard male. F1's would be all amels het char. Breed the blizzard male to an F1 female to get 50% Amels het char, 50% blizzards. That'd be your highest ratio of blizzards in the fewest generations. If you breed the F1's, you'd get 75% amels (67% het char) and 25% blizzards.

If it's variety you want, but also keeping it simple, you could go with a charcoal male het amel. F1 = 50% amels het char, 50% normals het amel and char. I personally like to have known hets where possible, rather than XX% chance het for yadda, so this cross also appeals to me. You could go with breeding her to a straight charcoal (not het amel), but then the F1's would be 100% normals het amel and char. Borrrrr-ring. ;)

So, for giggles, taking an F1 normal (het amel and char) x and F1 amel (het char), you'd get:

3/8 amels (67% chance het char)
3/8 normals (het amel, 67% het char)
1/8 blizzard
1/8 charcoal (het amel)

Nice variety, low blizzard yield. *shrug* Depends on what you're after. :)

Crossing an F1 female normal het char and amel back to daddy Blizz:

25% Blizzards
25% Amels het char
25% Chars het amel
25% Normals het amel and char

Nice mix, nice definite hets, nice cross IMHO.

If you would happen to think to yourself, "Self, I'd like to have a bunch of fun things pop up, with blizzards among them!", then by golly, grab yourself a charcoal ghost male or a pewter, preferably with some fun hets mixed in. :D

Good luck, have fun!

Hurley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]