kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

If ya type in the adrress it takes ya there, I saw it :0)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]

Posted by eve on May 16, 2003 at 06:41:17:

In Reply to: Empty Cage Syndrome posted by ETChipotle on May 15, 2003 at 00:03:03:

:Hello, Newbie here...
:I've been preparing a 90 gallon aquarium for habitation by collared lizards.

:I built an odd steel frame top that supports a dropped flourescent fixture, and has widely varying door sizes. The fixture will have two Reptisun 5.0 36" bulbs in it, and will probably be raised a little higher than it shows in the picture.

:I put in some sand and bricks that will hold up basking rocks (to prevent collapses) which I don't have yet. I also don't have basking lights and fixtures. My plan is to use one X10 module to turn on and off the UVB lights on a schedule, a second one to turn on and off the basking lights on a slightly different schedule, and perhaps a third module to run night heat lamps if necessary.

:I found X10 modules to be much more reliable at turning on and off lights for animals that I am myself.

:I'm experimenting with posting pictures, so just in case, the URL's are below. The pictures at the following links show a little bit of the goofy top and flourescent fixture (hanging a little too low, I need to shorten the chain), along with sand up to the top of the bricks.

:http://members.tripod.com/ETChipotle/reptile/cage1.jpg
:http://members.tripod.com/ETChipotle/reptile/cage2a.jpg

:My shipment of UVB bulbs and high range thermometers should be here soon so I can start testing and tweaking.

:I'm impressed by the pictures I'm seeing of all the beautiful Collared Lizards. It probably won't be long and I'll be ready to get some of my own...

:I've appreciated being able to read your posts and learn about this stuff before I go out and get one. Thanks Y'all!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]