kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I've brumated snakes before, just not lizards...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Lyn on April 04, 2003 at 08:23:35:

In Reply to: Pretty kids. Was this your first hibernation? n/m posted by kristinl568 on April 04, 2003 at 06:46:36:

Last year was my first year to brumate snakes, this year was my first year to hibernate lizards. My Savannah Monitor went into a self induced hibernation this year for the first time. Scared the heck out of me. He is always hungry, will eat anything anytime of any day. Last fall he refused his first meal. I was in tears! Thought he was sick and going to die. After about a month of refusing food I realized he must be going through his own hibernation type deal. He actually stayed active the whole winter, just wouldn't eat. I offered him food twice a week and he'd turn his head like a little baby. He did lose weight, but since he was overweight to begin with it was actually a good thing. Then all of a sudden he got his appetite back and is back to his old "always hungry" self. I may or may not start hibernating my Leos next year. Lots of people don't, so I'm on the fence. My Collareds are WC and I do hope to breed them when they are big enough. I actually didn't plan to hibernate them till next winter, but last fall they all wandered over to the cool side, curled up under one of their caves, and stopped eating. So it was their choice to do it this year. Nature is amazing. And seeing it first hand is a wonderful experience.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]