kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

DI in with her parents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]

Posted by JohnStyner on March 24, 2003 at 11:53:52:

I put my 9 month old female desert IG in with her 2 parents a couple of days ago when I was able to watch on the weekend and all is fine.

I was worried about her getting hurt. But as soon as I put her in the big Viv she started doing pushups for the first time. When I put her in she couldnt see the male as he was behind a plant and the adult female hadn't come out yet. I have a blacklight (flour. BL ) bulb that goes on for 2 hours a day and it was on so that could have triggered the response or maybe she sensed she was with others by seeing the marks on rocks smeared from the males femporal pores in the strong uva light and that also could have caused it. Or maybe just being in a new environment.

But when the male came to investigate she stayed her ground and got real tuff looking. Then she started doing more pushups and even biting her father who just looked annoyed and walked away.

A few times the father did try to pull a weak half-hearted Micheal Jackson on her but she just spread out her ribs flat and when he grabbed her she does a quick roll ands gets away. I am not concerned though the juvie seems to know what to do and handles herself well. Also I think she likes it better with the others. Sort of feels more lizardly when shes got others to show her stuff to.

Thanks David and Tom for your input as I would have waited much longer before putting her in had I not consulted you on the matter.

On another note the adult female is getting a nice set of scabs on her neck from the masher and looks like she may lay her second cluch of eggs for the year.

I'll keeps you all posted
John Styner

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]