kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

new tank and setup help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on May 08, 2003 at 20:27:57:

In Reply to: new tank and setup help posted by vegetell on May 08, 2003 at 11:22:46:

If you definately want a cham, than you won't be able to get any other kind of lizzard, sorry :( I know, it would look amazingly cool...
Chameleons are very sensitive to a lot of kinds of bacteria that other lizzards usually aren't, and so having other animals in there could make your cham sick. That, and they like to be alone, so other lizzards could cause stress.
You will also find that a chameleon alone is a TON of work, lol. That, and I'm sure it would love the WHOLE cage to itself.
If you want a cham I would suggest a veild or panther. Both are good "beginner" species, however of the two the veild is the hardiest. If you are up for a little more responsiblity, and want something with truly amazing colours, I would go with a panther. You can find lots of pics of the different morphs on sites such as www.adcham.com. Also, try and buy one that is at least five months old. That way you can be sure if it is male or female (the petstore SHOULD know, but just in case - I drove two hours for my male ambanja that turned out to be female!lol). I would even consider a little older.. like six or seven months. That way you know you are proably getting a fairly strong cham.. younger ones can die just from "natural selection" and are more prone to sickness. (My poor baby had a URI when I got her at three months.. it's a LOT of work to look after a sick cham.)
One more thing... I would checkout www.chameleonsonline.com, if you haven't already .It is a great site with lots of info on different species and husbandry advice.
Have fun with the cage, it sounds like a wonderful gift!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]