kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Looking for a Cham.. please help with information!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by MidnightFalcon on May 07, 2003 at 15:34:13:

In Reply to: Looking for a Cham.. please help with information! posted by charm_paradise on May 07, 2003 at 13:43:06:

Thanks John! I don't think you're aware of how much that really did help me, and thanks for the sites, I'll check them out right after I'm done posting. I may not be able to get a chameleon for 2+ months, but I think I'll stay here a read as much as I can about them, and build the cage ahead of time. Is there a certain type of wood I should use? I saw some of the panthers on here, and I love the way they look! When I get it, I'll let you all know.

Once again, thank you so very much.
Josh.

:

5 Most Common Asked
:Questions

:

:

:

:What chameleon is best for the new guy?

:

:

:

:The chameleon recommended for the new guy would
:be a Veiled or Panther chameleon. They are very hearty for a chameleon but not a
:walk in the park. Both can handle swings in temperature and humidity for a short
:period of time. Veiled chameleons are the most widely available chameleon and the
:cheapest. The panther chameleons cost a lot more but give you a much more
:colorful chameleon and a lot more colors to choose from. Veileds come from Yemen
:and Saudi Arabia 
:which is in a desert sub tropical mountainous environment. They require a higher temperature
:(100F basking area) and lower (60%) humidity. Panthers come from Madagascar
:which is a tropical region and like a slightly lower temperature (80-90 basking
:area) and much higher humidity (80+%). Both are available as CB (captive breed)
:and the panthers are available as WC (wild caught). You want to get CB
:chameleon, as they are raised in captivity and adapt much easier, with fewer
:problems to worry about.

:

:

:What kind of cage do I need for a
:chameleon?

:

:

:Chameleons need to be housed in an all
:screen cage. Do not keep chameleons in all glass aquariums. Glass tanks cause
:many problems for chameleon. Since they are made of glass which is reflective,
:and the chameleon can see its reflection, this causes stress. The glass also
:doesn’t allow for airflow, this causes stagnant air and high heat and humidity
:which leads to URI (upper respiratory infection). The glass also causes burns
:from the heat lamp warming the cage. Also the glass grows bad bacteria and all
:these problems cause constant stress and disease which leads to the death in no
:time at all. You will need in an all screen cage that is at least 24in. L x
:24in.W x 48in. H ( L.= length, W.= width, H.= height ) for a full grown of adult
:veiled or panther chameleon.

:

:

:

:What type of lighting and heating do I
:need?

:

:

:There are two different ways of lighting and
:heating a chameleon cage. The first way is the older proven way, which is with a
:UVB fluorescent bulb and a 100w or less basking bulb. This way you will need a Zoomed Repti-Sun 5.0 fluorescent UVB bulb and a fluorescent fixture to fit the bulb.
:Then you will also need a 100w or less basking bulb (you can use a bulb that puts off
:visible light or a ceramic bulb that does not put off visible light. The
:difference is the visible light doesn’t last very long and will need to be
:replaced about every three to four months and costs less. The ceramic bulb which
:last over one year, cost more, but lasts longer. ) and one, 8.5 inch dome
:reflector with a ceramic socket. The second way is with a 100w mercury vapor
:bulb which combines both UVB & UVA and heat in one bulb. (I use the mercury
:vapor bulbs on all my cages.) You would use a Zoomed Power Sun or Big Apple
:Capture The Sun bulb (U.S. only). I do not recommend the T-rex Active UV bulbs
:because they don’t last long. The mercury vapor bulbs have a one year warranty
:and produce a much better UVB light that can penetrate up to 6ft. These bulbs
:are a newer way of lighting and heating a cage, and so far have worked great for
:me. You will save money by combining the two in one, and on the light fixtures.
:You only need one 10in. dome reflector with a porcelain socket.

:

:

:What do I feed my chameleon and how do I give it water?

:

:

:Chameleons eat insects as their main diet, some
:will eat plant matter (Veileds). The most widely available insects are crickets,
:meal worms, wax worms, and super worms. The only one of those that is good for a
:staple diet would be crickets; all the others are good only as treats. Another
:insect that is good as a staple diet is the silk worms. They are the best staple
:diet, but require special food and needs so most people don’t use them until
:they are in season ( available at your local pet shop ). You can buy them year
:round online at

:
:www.mulberryfarms.com
or
:
:www.ebay.com
. Before
:feeding insects to your chameleon you need to gut load, and crickets are easily
:gut loaded with commercially available foods like Fluker’s cricket feed. You
:will also need to get the vitamin/calcium supplements (dust) to dust the insects
:you feed to your chameleon. Depending on the age of the chameleon depends on how
:often you dust the insects; follow the directions on the bottle. For water,
:chameleons do not drink from bowls; they lick water droplets from leaves. You
:will need a dripper or an automatic mister. The drippers are a plastic jug that
:has a control valve that allows you to control the number of drops released. The
:dripper will need to be refilled every day with new water, and a small bowl will
:need to be placed on the bottom of the cage to collect access water from the
:dripper. The dripper should be placed so it drips on the leaves of the plants in
:the cage. The automatic mister is a complete misting set up and runs off a
:programmable timer. There is a 5gal. reservoir that the pump connects to and
:turns on by the timer settings. You can hook multiple cages up to a misting
:system. You will also need a hand spray bottle if you use a dripper and will
:need to mist the cage at least three times per day.

:

:

:

:What do I put inside the cage?

:

:

:You will want to use a combination of live plants
:and vines. The plants that are nontoxic to reptiles can be found on my website.
:The most common plants used are Ficus trees, Ploth plants which are more like a
:vine, and Umbrella trees. Just make sure the plants you buy are on the nontoxic
:plant list. Bio Vines by Exo-Terra are good for making walking places from tree
:to tree or from side to side in the cage. I like to use them in the top of the
:cage to allow the chameleon to get right under his or her basking lamp. You can
:use small black plastic UV resistant zip ties to secure the vines to the screen
:on the cage. The Bio Vines come in three different sizes (thickness) and in 6ft.
:sections.

:

:Hope this Helps! Read as much info as you can before buying your chameleon, visit my site below for links to some great chamleoen sites.
:John

:

::I always wanted a chameleon.. the problem is, everywhere I go to find one, it's usually.. most likely (with the experience I have with chams.. which is close to none.) over priced. I don't know much about chameleons, so I was just curious.. what would be a good chameleon for a first timer, and with the suggestion, if you could attach a care sheet. I'm not reptile illeterate. I've kept monitors, boas, uromastyx, and tegus. I've just decided, I'll go one step farther and get what I've always wanted..

::Josh.

:

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]