kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Horrid question...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on May 03, 2003 at 20:36:51:

Ok. This isn't about chameleons, but I thought I would post knowing that a lot of you have other pets and are pet lovers like me, and maybe someone can help me.
I found out this morning that one of my degus had a prolapse. My dad said he noticed it late last night (I wasn't home till this morning). When I got home to look at it he was on his wheel, and it was REALLY bad. I'm not sure if it is his testicles or what exactly, but the whole organ is outside his body. The wound is healed up, and to put him back together would require surgery. The problem is I can't get him to a vet to have him euthanized untill Monday.
I know the only way I could humanely do it myself would be to break his neck, but I have never done that before. I don't want to half break it, or something, and have him still alive and in more pain. So, my question is this: Is there a certain way it has to be broken? Also, how much pressure does it take?
I know this is pretty gross, and I'm sorry. The thought of it alone is making me kind of sick, but I want to do what is best for Kirby.
Thanks if anyone can help.
~Lindsay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]