kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

also...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on May 01, 2003 at 20:14:15:

In Reply to: Baby vailed stopped eating, HELP ! posted by charm_paradise on May 01, 2003 at 11:42:44:

Maybe he has an URI. Hold his little face to your ear and listen for something like rice krispies. Can you really see when he is breathing? If his sides seems to go in and out a lot with his breath than he is probably having to work at breathing. This is another sign of an URI. I would suggest taking him to a vet. He/she will be able (if experienced enough) to determine what is wrong. That will help you fix it. Changing to a screen cage will help also, but if it some kind of bacterial infection (URI, mouthrot, or other) than antibiotics may be needed.
My baby panther had a URI when I got her. That was on Feb 14th, and she JUST started to eat healthy full meals this week. While she was sick I gave her a mealie a day (the only thing she would shoot for), and I also force fed her "bug juice" every day. She really hated it at first, but after a while would stand and drink it. I would try that. It may not help your guy get better, but at least he will be able to regain some strength. It will also keep him from losing weight.
Another thing to try: raise his basking spot about 5-7*F. That will help him get better faster, and maybe help stimulate his appetite again.
Good luck! With a lot of care he may turn around!
~Lindsay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]