kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pygmy info for Justin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by lele on April 29, 2003 at 16:44:26:

Hi Justin,

I am just about ready to order my stumpi-cham's from Kammerflage (I am so excited!) and Liddy, who is most helpful(!) answered some ?? I had and thought I would pass it along to you - and of course anyone else who is interested :)

from Liddy Kammer:
Here are some tips about setups (including substrate) that we hope you find helpful:

1. Stumptails are best kept in a planted out vivaria. The bottom of the aquarium can be soil 3-1/2" - 4" deep (we use a brand called: Supersoil (without conditioners) which is available at most local Home Depot stores). Cover the potting soil with a thin layer of orchid bark (1/2" deep). Orchid bark is also available at Home Depot or smaller specialty plant and garden shops. The plants can stay in their little 4" containers, but be buried in the soil as well. Add twigs, dried leaves, larger pieces of tree bark, etc., to make a "forest floor" setting.

2. They prefer cooler temperatures, so a spot light at one end of the vivarium would be sufficient. You can use a UVA/UVB florescent across the top (i.e. Zoo Med 5.0 bulb) to provide them with full spectrum lighting. Since they are forest dwellers, they don't really need much in the way of direct sun so a low wattage incandescent bulb (25-40 wt.) on one end will provide them with a nice basking spot if they so desire. A basking site in the lower 80's would be perfect. You will need to use a thermometer to check for the proper temperatures. Lights can be placed on a simple lamp timer device & power strip, both available from Home Depot for approx. $5.00 - $10.00 ea.

3. Mist the foliage 2-3 times a day and use little Dixie cups with a pin hole in the bottom, as "drippers" for additional water.

4. They will eat small crickets (2 week old size is good). The cricket size should be no longer than the width of their heads since these are tiny little guys. :)

5. Supplement their crickets with a product called "Montane Shade" (30 gm size) which you can get by ordering through Walkabout Farm. It is inexpensive and will last 3 months or a longer (intended for daily dusting on your feeder insects). The Stumptails also love flightless fruit flies, mini mealworms and small wax worms. :) Check: Timberline Live Reptile Foods, Crickets , Grubco Inc or Fluker Farms for prices and availability on feeder insects.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]