kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Plant quarantine?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by tanyacska on April 28, 2003 at 08:36:06:

In Reply to: Plant quarantine? posted by iwana on April 27, 2003 at 06:50:02:

i have a great hibiscus bush that i trimmed to fit in the screen cage. i washed the leaves and rinsed it in the shower after buying it, and covered the top of the soil with another inch of fresh and clean organic potting soil (no perlite).

:Hi everyone,

:Today's the day we finally get to work on Frasier's new cage. Yeay! He really does look depressed in his 'tank', I'm really looking forward to getting him out of it! I mentioned a few times that "he was fine until now" -- I wonder if his reaching sexual maturity also has something to do with him wanting more space? Does this make sense?

:Anyway, I'll get to the point. My husband (Justin) and I and trying to decide on the best plant(s) for Frasier's new cage. Justin really likes the idea of putting a ficus in there because of the dense foliage, but I had steered him away from that idea because of the white sap these plants put out whenever they lose their leaves, which they seem to do a lot. I had imagined that with a chameleon trampling in it all day long -- especially one the size of a veiled -- would cause a lot of leaves to fall off and sap would end up on the cham, but I'm noticing that ficuses are recommended in this forum, as well as in some caresheets. I'm assuming no one has had any trouble with sap?

:Also, a concern we have are the chemicals horticulturists usually use on plants grown for ornamental use. When I first started keeping iguanas and wanted to get live plants for them (we're talking nearly 10 years ago) and inquired with several florists and such, it seemed like every supplier out there used chemicals on their plants, so I had pretty much dismissed them. But everyone recommends them for chams, so...

:We're wondering how that came to be: did you manage to find store-bought plants that were chemical-free? If so, were they easy to find? Or did you quarantine the plant for several months (including repotting, pruning and waiting for new growth)?

:Thanks!

:Julie, Justin and Frasier. :-)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]