kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Baby jaxs 10 days old...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by gidyen39 on April 23, 2003 at 11:46:31:

In Reply to: Baby jaxs 10 days old... posted by Bill_Strand on April 23, 2003 at 09:48:19:

:What containers do you have them in? Here are a couple things to remember about putting babies outside:
:1) If they are in direct sunlight they will overheat very quickly. Dappled sunlight is safest. Any enclosed caging will trap heat and can build up heat like a greenhouse so even a pleasent day can turn into an inferno for the babies if they are in, say, an aquarium.
:2) Not only will glass trap heat, but it also filters out the UVB you have them out there in the first place for!
:3) The babies do not need blazing sunlight to get UVB. Once again, a dappled sunlight area gives the babies shade protection and still provides the UVB as well as the general enhanced feeling of well-being that outdoors chameleons seem to radiate (personal philosophy)
:4) If ants can get to them they will. Probably not the first time you have the babies out. And not the second time. The ants will wait until you feel like everything is going great and nothing could go wrong. That is when you will discover the most gruesome scene a chameleon breeder can discover. Start now with water around table legs or other anti-ant measures and you will be one of those lucky ones who have learned from others mistakes!
:5) Hours are better that minutes for being outside.
:6) Carefully watch your watering as your spraying may evaporate much quicker outside. Just keep an eye out to make sure the babies are getting enough water.

:Chameleons seem to like the idea of basking. I suppose that if your house is warm enough you can get away with not having a basking light on them, but then do you have a night time drop? If so, how does the house warm up? Heater? I would feel better if all my babies had basking lights, but I can not say your babies won't do fine without a basking light as I have never tried it that way.
:Bill

Yes the house is heated by a heater but it is rarely on... the night time temps drop about 10 degrees due to no heater being on. I went to home depot and bought 2 gallon paints buckets for ea. cham and used a dremmel tool to cut out the top, bottom and most of the sides and hot glued metal screening to them.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]