kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

One more question for you Bill...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by Bill_Strand on April 22, 2003 at 06:35:22:

In Reply to: One more question for you Bill... posted by LizKing on April 21, 2003 at 16:38:11:

Raising the bottom of the cage will give the chameleon the perceived height advantage, but here are some considerations to having the cage height at 9 feet:
1) Make sure you can get the panther for vet visits/check-ups, etc...A panther chameleon will use that height.
2) The purpose of keeping a chameleon is, presumably, to enjoy him. If he is always at 9 feet above the ground will you be able to enjoy him? The needs of the chameleon need to be put first, but don't ruin the whole reason for having him in the first place! There is also the safety aspect. You want to make sure you see enough of your chameleon on a regular basis to make sure you can pick up the subtle signs of trouble.
3) If you raise the cage up you lose the bare-earth bottom that gives you a very nice low point for your temperature gradient and a very easy high point for your humidity gradient.
4) Unless you have a step stool you will be feeding your chameleon in the lower half of his domain. This may or may not be a problem as a panther may come down to you for feeding once he figures out that you mean food.

Also beware of having the cage next to something taller such as a tree. It may be a non-issue if your panther is happy with his cage, but it could cause height envy in your panther (they are programmed to climb to the highest point).

If your cage is closer to six feet tall I would say that it is tall enough. An earth bottom is a valuable thing! It really helps to be an anchor from which your temperature and humidity and hiding-place gradients start.

Please also keep in mind I can only guess what your conditions are. I am speaking from my experience. I have extensive experience in working with outdoor caging, but in a limited number of environments (I can only live in so many places and work with so many microenvironments!) Each time you have to change a little something to adjust to the new environment. The things I have listed are generalizations that I have found to be pretty consistant. Take them for things to consider and make your choices by thinking about if and how they apply in your case.
Bill Strand

Although, make sure you can still get the guy if need be!
:My cage is actually closer to 6 foot tall than 5.5. I know chameleons feel safe when they are above eye level with humans, so I have built a stand for the cage that will put the bottom of the cage 3 foot off the ground and the top about 9 foot off the ground. Would this achieve the same comfort and security effect you speak of with taller cages without actually building the cage taller? I actually thought about attaching the cage to a tree somehow so I could pick and choose my desired height, but I thought about all the squirrels raising hell on my trees in the backyard and thought mr. panther really wouldn't like that too much :)

:
:Thanks for your time and advice :)

:
:LK,

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]