kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

PS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by charm_paradise on April 21, 2003 at 14:07:57:

In Reply to: Re: Do I need a night light? posted by charm_paradise on April 21, 2003 at 13:36:52:

I probly should have made this clear, NEVER USE A BLACK LIGHT ON CHAMELEON OR ANY OTHER ANIMALS. When I said night light, I ment a ceramic heat source, not a light bulb of any color. My fault! Thanks for clearing that up!

John
:Hi- Yes cold is below 60, 55 is below 60. I never said to use a night light, nor did I say use any kind of heat sorce at night, unless it is very cold, and as you said most likly not if humans are living in the house. I do not use any night light/heat sources at night on any of my chameleons. The basking bulb wattage of 100w is a standard recomendation, I was just saying that there was no mentioning of a basking bulb and one is need. What do you want peoeple to do, go out and buy one basking bulb of every wattage to see what one works best, for there set up to give the correct basking temp? One will not need over 100w and if it is too hot then you adjust the bulb by moving it up more off the cage!

:John

:
::Let's get specific. When we say "cold in the house" we mean below 55 F. Not too likely if humans are living there too. Just to add info, chams do seem to see most colors, so if you use any type of light emitting heat source at night you will disturb them. Also, John, I would suggest we be careful about suggesting a specific wattage of basking bulb. The wattage will vary so much for each cage situation that you could unintentionally give someone the wrong idea. The safest way is to measure the temp right in the basking area. The wattage light that gets you to the right temp is what they will need. The wattage of the light isn't the important thing.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]