kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Well...first off...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by icequeen on April 14, 2003 at 22:31:46:

In Reply to: Some thoughts about cham time and $... posted by chimbakka on April 14, 2003 at 18:11:58:

Thank you, for your kind thoughts about my "ordeal" with Zoe.
I must say though, that I'm not a saint...I've been frustrated, and wondered if I'm crazy going to the extremes I've gone to over the last month or so...but...I can honestly say that I wouldn't change the choices I've made in caring for Zoe. Obviously I wish things had gone differently, but they didn't...and I think it's just our (meaning all animal lovers) personality type. Lets face it, there are people who can't even imagine TOUCHING a lizard...let alone owning one, and spending serious cash on one.
When I take Zoe outside for sun...people will stand 6 feet away from me, and look at us in horror! They ask me...how can you have that THING in your HOUSE!! But...it's just my nature. I couldn't just let him be left alone to die. Some of us are like that, and other are not.
(a quick little story....when my father met my (ex)husband for the first time...he asked me: "Kim...when are you going to stop bring home STRAYS??" No word of a lie!)
Anyway...I agree totally with you about the unexpected expense...I have spent close to $500 in just the last month on Zoe. Would I have done it any different? NO! He needed the care...I'm his owner...it's up to me to provide it. End of story.
As you all know...a new enclosure for him is next on the list.
I'm going to have revert to plan A...and get my dad to make the cage for me. I went to various stores over the weekend...and it'll cost me 25 bucks per screen minimum! so I think I'll have to go with wood and screen, rather than aluminum and screen.
I'm anxious to get him into a new home! I can't wait for him to have more room to move around!
My dad is coming into town this weekend...I told him to "bring tools". I'm hoping to be able to put him to work!!
I'll keep you posted on that too!

:I am fairly new to keeping chameleons, as most of you know. I have a 5 month old panther, who I got 2 months ago. I just wanted to post this for other newbies to read, as well as for those who may be interested in chams. I think even those more experienced may get something from this.
:Basically, I just have a few thoughts about how much money people spend on their habitats and cham care, and also how much time is required to care for a chameleon properly.
:Some people seem to really want to save a ton of money on their stuff for their chameleon. I don't just mean people on this site, but on various sites that I have visited. I agree with building your own cage, and trying some homemade things over store bought options. In a lot of cases I actually preffer them. I just think that people who are thinking about owning a cham REALLY need to consider cost of a proper habitat BEFORE buying. There are some cheap ways out, but consideration needs to be given to the fact that you are housing an ANIMAL. If you don't want to pay for its home, don't get it. I have many animals. I find that in most cases, the home and preparation for the animal costs about 5 times more than the animal itself. For example, I spent about $200 for my setup for my degus. I could have opted for a small cage and saved money, but they would not have as nice of a home. When I got Orion he was about $200 (keep in mind I'm talking CDN$). I am expecting to invest $1000 at least in his care, plus food and vet bills. I did not expect to be over halfway there in only 2 months! There are always adjustments that need to be made, and ideas that don't work. The humidity problem I had alone cost me about $140. That is not something I was expecting. Before getting a cham (or anyother animal for that reason) people need to think about whether or not they are willing to put their extra cash toward them, or if they will be mad if this happens.
:Another topic I want to touch on is how impressed I am with the care that most, if not all, of the people on here provide their animals. Icequeen, I would like to centre you out and say YOU ARE AWESOME! You have put so much time and money into a creature that you didn't even plan to get. I think that many can learn from you and Zoe about what it takes to look after a cham.
:I have to get going.. Maybe I will add some more thoughts later. Any replies (good or bad) would be wonderful!
:~Lindsay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]