kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I can answer about dusting....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by icequeen on April 14, 2003 at 04:55:44:

In Reply to: dusting crickets & drip systems... how do you do it? posted by compasscreek on April 13, 2003 at 23:17:55:

when I dust Zoe's crickets, or mealies...I just take out however many I need...which is never really an exact amount....for instance, I pick up a peice of the egg carton stuff that they hide in, give it a little shake so I don't have a TON of crickets on it...then I gently tap the rest into a plastic container...like an old margerine container...sprinkle a little (maybe 1/2 a tsp) of vit. powder into the container. Put the lid on and gently rotate the container around, so that the insects de'jour (the insect you're going to feed your cham that day) have a nice coating of vitamins on them.
Or if you're like my son...you shake the crap out of the container, just to see what the crickets will do once they are brain damaged.
I always remove them from the vitamin container and then put them in with my cham, rather than just tipping the container and letting the crickets and vitamin dust fall out into the enclosure. I'm nervous of getting the calcium/vitamin dust in Zoe's eyes, so by taking them out of the vitamin container first, I avoid that possibility.
As far as watering/misting I'll let the more experienced cham keepers answer that...Zoe marches to his own drummer, and I don't want to give you wrong info.

Good luck and enjoy your new pet when you get him!!

:ok i'm new to this, so new i don't even have a chameleon yet but will mid to late may. anyway my question is how do you vitamin dust the crickets you are going to feed to your chameleon with out dusting EVERY one of them in your "stash"? also the drip system. is it on all day and night or just a few hours? and should it drip directly onto the plant in the cage? every thing i read says the chameleon gets water from dropletts on the leaves from the drip system. if this is true why would i need something to catch the water on the bottom? also is this a mist or actual dripping?

:thanks
:cc

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]