kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Handling?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on April 13, 2003 at 18:26:32:

In Reply to: Handling? posted by livxpreshun on April 12, 2003 at 18:54:06:

I don't have a vield, but here is my 2 cents (for what it's worth)
it Depends on how old he is now (it may be too late).
I think the idea with stress is that if you take them out for long peroids of time, or multiple times a day, then they get annoyed.
If you NEVER take him out, then when he is full grown he may hiss when you come near, because he isn't used to you. That's not good either.
If you have had him only a few months, I would take him out once a day, or if this seems to stress him out, every other day. Have him out for 10 min or so. Let him walk on you a bit, and give him a treat every few times you have him out, so that he can associate you with good things. This way, when you have to take him out for cleaning or what have you, than he won't completely freak out. He will be used to you.
Then, there are chams that you just need to leave alone unless you need to take them out. If he turns black, closes his eyes, or is clearly unhappy in some way when you take him out (it may take a min for him to calm down) than just leave him be. You need to take his personality into consideration, and modify handling to fit him.
:)
I hope some of that garble helped, lol
~Lindsay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]