kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Please read!!! About bug juice/sick cham diets!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on April 13, 2003 at 18:15:48:

In short I am asking how long it is safe to keep a cham on bug juice. If you need more details, here's the scoop:
I have been feeding Orion bug juice starting about a week or two ago. He has had an URI for a few weeks. I didn't want him to get too used to eating this way, so I backed off for 3 days to see if he would eat on his own. He wasn't too interested. I know it is safe for chams to go a week or two with no food, but Orion is just over 2 inches, and he is a five month old panther! He needs to grow. No food = no growth.
He is done his antibiotic, but I don't think he is 100% better yet. There is still a bit of a popping sound, but he doesn't have to strain to breathe. I also know that some URI's are viral, and medicine won't help. When I got my kitty from the Toronto SPCA, she was only 8 weeks, and had a URI. She lost a lot of weight, and would have died without the extra care i gave her. After she grew a bit and got stonger, she got completely better. So, I am thinking that if I keep Orion on the bug juice, he will grow a bit and get stronger, and maybe have a better chance at getting healthier. Is this right?
Is it safe to keep him on the diet for a few months? I still provide him with crickets and mealies, to see if he will eat on his own. I also put a few baby crix in the food for him. They fit in the eyedropper. The rest of the diet is chicken baby food, apple baby food, cricket dust, and pedialite.
Any suggestions would be helpful! I need all advice possible!!!
THANKYOU!!!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]