kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Coral snakes like crazy...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CFHS Forum ]

Posted by gila7150 on April 07, 2003 at 01:38:52:

In Reply to: Coral snakes like crazy... posted by hippiebri on April 06, 2003 at 12:32:49:

I'm not sure about the Tampa area. I know George at the St. Cloud Serpentarium has a colony of established corals that he extracts venom from. I don't know if he has a need for any more at this time.
Coral snakes are incredible animals but make pretty lousy captives. If it was me, I'd probably just find a nice rural area to relocate it (with a lot of ground cover or pine needles to burrow in.) I'd rather see a gravid female released in a suitable habitat where she can lay her eggs than subjected to the stress of a venom lab.
I'm glad a responsible person found her rather than someone who would kill it for no reason .
Good luck,
Chris

:Hey everyone~

: While working out in the yard today I stumbled upon a huge coral snake in a pile of logs. This is the second one this week. I (Illegally) relocated the 1st from my yard to some local safe woods away from the kids and animals in our yard. I was wondering if there are any of those venom collecting places around the Tampa area that could use the one I stumbled accross today. Its a huge beautiful snake. At the least it will be safely relocated but as I understand it the folks at these venom collecting places have to go out and look pretty hard for the snakes they need so if i have been lucky enough to find such they might be able to use it. Any advice would be appreciated but soon as I won't be holding onto it for long at all. looks like she possibly has some eggs inside her..

:bri~

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CFHS Forum ]