kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

would this work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 28, 2003 at 16:56:26:

In Reply to: would this work posted by gyke on April 28, 2003 at 16:30:49:

I know of aquaria constructed of plywood that have lasted for over 25 years. Some of them were several hundred gallons so a small pond will be no problem.

The cheapest way for you to seal it will likely be a polyester fiberglass resin. Find the cheapest brushes you can find and buy enough for 3 coats (probaby 6 brushes - 2 per coat depending on the size of your pool). You'll have to throw the brushes away.

Technically you'll have to topcoat the fiberglass with a wax to prevent oxygen exposure but I know some people have skipped this step.

There are other products you could use but they'd be more expensive. However, they'd also look a heck of a lot nicer than fiberglass resin to topcoat a concrete or plaster pool with.

Instead of concrete I'd be inclined to use a pre-mixed plaster product that has some elastomeric properties. These products will be less likely to crack from the flexing etc. that your pond will experience.

You'll need to apply the plaster to a screen substrate you line the pool with. Attach the screen to the top edges of the plywood so no staple holes penetrate the fiberglass resin. Make sure you don't fill water above that point.

Also, I'd recommend againt inlaying stones into the pool. I've know several people who have done this and they've all regreted it. Harder to keep clean and the stones actually create stress-risers in the plaster or concrete.

What I recommend is going out and finding a small piece of textured rock. Rub some cooking oil on it and press it into your drying plaster. Gives a bit of texture and a more natural look.

I may go shopping tonight. I'll see I can come up with a plaster product to recommend.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]