kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New Racks have arrived. First Impression!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by John Q on April 18, 2003 at 09:37:17:

I shopped for racks made of plastic for several weeks, even posted here for feedback from owners of racks made of the new lightweight plastics. I just didn't want to build another melamine unit, heavy, hard to move around, but the cost is hard to beat. I also didn't want to be a guinea pig beta tester for a new material unless the manufacturer was willing to replace the unit if a major design flaw came up.
The features I was looking for were lightweight, stackable, proven heating system, tight fit at the top to avoid escapees, boxes that were available locally so I could purchase a full second set, and a return policy if the unit(s)did not meet all the advertised features/promises or my expectations.
I purchased 3 racks from Casey Hulse, Natures Spirit. The racks are well made, lightweight, use sterilite boxes that are available locally (one mfg. offered a discontinued box), have a good fit, tight tolerance, etc. So far I am very happy with the racks. I'll be setting them up this weekend and with two 11 inch strips of heat tape I don't expect any problems getting the boxes up to temp.
As far as the other models, the final models that I considered, well:
Repitat- could not start building my order for 2-3 weeks, a little higher priced, but they were my second choice and I would consider them in future purchases.
Boaphile- more expensive, due to the name IMO, but the main reason I did not buy from them was because they would not answer a single email, I emailed just a few basic questions. If a mfg. will not respond before they have your $$$, they are not likely to respond if you have a problem with the product.
Chameleon Condo- 7 day return policy for a completely new product, new plastic material, new heating material, just not long enough to test it out. Also, I have read that the new heat rope(s) do not spread the heat very well. They do offer the most rack for the $$$ but I decided to let someone else be the guinea pig beta tester.
One final comment, Casey does a great job of boxing up the racks but somehow UPS managed to damage a unit. Casey is sending a replacement unit. That's exactly what any customer should get when a unit is damaged in shipping.
John Q

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]