kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks everyone!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by jcherry on April 30, 2003 at 09:57:03:

In Reply to: Tough Day is an understatement... posted by oldherper on April 30, 2003 at 08:06:46:

To answer your question, no there was no insurance to cover this loss. Which is really Ironic, as we are insurance poor in the demolition business and in the minature horses. I just never even thought about it on the animals. I had always felt that there was nothing we had not experienced and rebounded from when it came to the reptiles, boy was I wrong.

The only thing close to this was about 15 years ago we had a virus brought in by a visitor( which killed and/or infrcted over 300 animals ) and had since had a closed collection with very few outside folks even allowed in to see the animals.

Hind sight is always 20/20 and I wish I had some insurance on the loss. But then again how the heck would you explain why one bull snake or southern pine etc. was worth 10 times what another was because of some locale or het. trait they couldn't even see.

The most devastating part of it are the losses such as Llyod Lemkes Black Pines which he sent me prior to his death ( we have 1 gravid female left ), The original albino ancient San Diego gopher or the striped deppei deppei from Randy Limburg, Don Soderburg's chocolate bull who was gravid for the first time, the 21 year old bull snake whose father I had collected with a good friend who died from injuries he received while in Viet Nam etc. etc. etc.

No amount of money could replace those animals and what they meant to me personally. But all is well and the reconstruction is beginning. The snake house is cleaner than it has been in years, a new air conditioner is being put in, stock from friends around the country is starting to come in tomorrow and we will get back on track.

Thanks for all the kind wishes from everyone. One final thought is that we all in this hobby should cherish the oppurtunites to enjoy our animals and friends when we can as you never know what is around the corner.

Sincerely,

John & Cindy Cherry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]