kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

NICE snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by KJUN on April 28, 2003 at 11:52:46:

In Reply to: Hybino: misnomer or worse? posted by BobWhite on April 28, 2003 at 08:54:59:

I always stayed away from albino Sonorans because they never appealed to me. The new, brighter albino Sonorans are starting to intrigue me now. Matter of fact, I'vew already ordered a bunch of Sonorans from this year's hatchlings from Jason....lol. The normal;s are still my favorite, but the axanthics make my eyes water they are so pretty.

: Good post. However, I would like to get some sort of opinion, feeling or whatever on just what is influencing this trait or where it's coming from.

I hace no idea. I'm not even sure if the hybino trait is an allelic or nonalleic form of albinism with the more common forms. That just isn't something I ever tried to get data to support one way or another since I've never been interested in the albino Sonorans. My post was NOT intended to do anything other than to point out that "hybino" means different things to different vendors, some imply something new and original, and some are bordering on being just a misleading marketing trick.

The "hybino" sonorans I've seen LOOK different and are reported to breed true, so it isn't really, in my opinion, a "misleading marketing trick." What I don't know is if it is a new form of albino (like the Lubbock vs Amarillo lines of albinism in bullsnakes) or just a NEW color phase of the same type of albinism (like sunglow versus candycane albinos in cornsnakes). I can't guess as to that because I haven't worked with them or really researched them like I have some other things.

Look different? Yes? Breed true. Reportedly so, yes. More than that and i'd just be guessing. Is it a Hypomelanistic Albino? I doubt it STRONGLY, but if it is, then the terms are not correct when applied to one or both of the parental stocks....lol.

: Even though I really don't like the term "hybino", it seems to be an accurate "description" of this color phase that seems to crop up from out of the blue.

Since "hybino" is a "made-up" term, it being or not beinf an accurate description seems to be up to the person who coined the term... or at least coined it for that use. I don't like it because it is misleading. However, if people explain what they mean by the term when they use it, then I agree with your statement completely.

Thanks for the interesting post!
KJ

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]