mobile - desktop
3 months for $50.00
News & Events:
Posted by nodaksnakelover on April 20, 2003 at 12:48:02:
In Reply to: How far is the nearest airport with . . .> posted by terryp on April 19, 2003 at 23:32:05:
Yeah, I'll have to check them out, I believe Fargo has both and that's two hours from me. They should be able to make the connections from there for me. I might do a trial run with some baby corns to a friend and see how they do. We'll see.
:a FEDEX or Airborne Epress office? If you can get the package to the FEDEX office, ship it Next Day guaranteed by 10:30 am I think it is. If there's an Airborne Express office, ship the package OvernightExpress. In any case, I mark "perishable" on the box. Don't know how actually true it is, but I was told a couple times the carrier won't bump packages marked perishable at the start. You and the buyer work together to coordinate good weather conditions and flight delays. The buyer is generally anxious to get the snake or snakes, but don't let them hurry you into shipping when the conditions aren't the best. I've always let the shipper call the shots. Alot of times I have the package shipped to me and marked hold at office for me to pick up. It works great with FEDEX. I track the package and know when the package gets to the terminal and I can go at my convenience and pick up the package. It sits in a comfortable temperature and away from harms way. Remember, if it goes on a truck or van from the terminal to you, you may be last on the route. I hope that helps a little.
::The thing about shipping, for me anyhow is no one takes snakes, and to just put them in a box and ship by UPS and HOPE they get there the next day from the North Dakota outback is just not going to happen. And they randomly open boxes now. Should I take the risk of trying to ship my babies, and if they don't survive...I have to send a person's money back to them...when I did all the work hatching and getting them started? Not sure I can take that risk! Yet...there are now 12 eggs incubating... How else can I get rid of them? I'm shooting for having a table at the Midwest Herp Symposium, in Omaha, Nebraska in October. I figure one pair will stay here with me, and at least two other pairs are called for. I've never shipped out before, have always just taken my stuff to John Meltzer and he gives me a good price for my babies. Those were corns, these, the pines, I don't know. We'll see. Who knows, maybe, I don't know! Shipping is very risky. I am told by a friend who works for UPS now that he wouldn't want to ship UPS now that he knows what conditions those baby snakes go through. Makes you think. Plus I've had baby corn snakes shipped to me cross country that just up and died on me shortly after arriving...shipping stress? I've been told they fumigate for bugs...That could do tiny lungs in! Yet, yes, I've had stuff shipped to me cross country that did fine. But when I take time to think about it, too many times stuff has died or done poorly in getting going. I do best when I can go direct, like to John's and pick up my babies or go to a show and get babies from a reputable breeder. A sticky situation for me is shipping. Especially from a little town far from any shipping line. I can't see even sending a box UPS from Fargo making it overnight to anywhere in the country. We'll see.
::::Here's a picture of my Northern Pine now in her third year laying eggs for the first time! And she gave me 12 very large white eggs! Wow! She had been digging a bit in the vermiculite so her head was covered with the stuff so apparently couldn't see me well at all, or just the fact that she's my baby and so dog tame for me that she didn't object to the intrusion. She laid the third egg shortly after this shot was taken of which I got a series of shots following this one shown in posts below. Enjoy the pics! Now I've got the two month wait, give or take!
::::I just can't believe she laid 12 for her first clutch!!!
:::Nice pictures and a beautiful snake,This is probly a stupid question but keep me in mind when the time comes for some to go,you probly already have a waiting list but just incase.