kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: rat tail caused regurge?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by BILLY on April 10, 2003 at 15:40:09:

In Reply to: rat tail caused regurge? posted by cpn_aaron on April 10, 2003 at 14:58:52:

Aaron,

He may have thrown up due to the size of the food you gave him. IMHO, small rats for a 3 ft pine may be a bit too much. Just remember, if they will eat it doesn't mean that it is good for them. Do you think that the amount of food you may be giving him may be too much? My northern pine is about 3 ft as well and he gets 1 or 2 rat fuzzies a week. Size of food items may differ from company, but these fuzzies I give him are about the size or a tad bit smaller than a normal sized adult mouse. I feed him once a week, and he does great. He cruises around his cage after eating, knowing he could eat more, but I don't feed him any more. Hope this helps!
Billy

:I was moving my year old 3 foot northern pine up food types yesterday. he's growing like a weed and p/k or f/t weanling rats two times a week won't keep him full. He needed a bigger meal, so I went up to p/k small rats. I chose one of the smaller rats I could find that had similar, if only slightly thicker body size than the weanlings he normally consumes. I fed him and he pounded the thing like a champ and swallowed it down without complaints or second thoughts. I left to run errands and returned an hour later to find a freshly regurged rat in his cage. I cleaned the cage and have started soaking him to gain fluids back. Today as I was in my physics lecture wishing I was elsewhere it dawned on me that it could have been the length of the prey as opposed to the thickness that troubled his stomach. The small rat while similar in thickness was longer than the weanlings. The longest part of the rat is the tail. The weanlings only have little tails. I was wondering if any one might have had a similar problem when moving their snake up in foodstuff size? I would like to get him on the small rats since feeding him 4 or 5 weanlings a week is expensive compared to 1 or 2 small rats a week. Should I try cutting a tail off and feeding him the tailless rat? I'm open to any suggestions or tried and true methods. Thanks in advance.
:Aaron
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]