kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: bull feces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 05, 2003 at 07:39:16:

In Reply to: bull feces posted by snakemanmatt30 on April 04, 2003 at 18:37:02:

OK...a couple of questions for you. Is this a recently obtained wild-caught animal? Are you sure he really is a he? If this is a recently wild-caught animal and it wasn't probed, then it's possible that what you have is really a gravid female. The "lumpy down by the vent" part is what makes me suspicious.

If it really is a male, and is bound up for some reason, then try soaking him for an hour or so in a tub full of lukewarm water while GENTLY manipulating the "lumpy" part. Sometimes just putting them in the tub of lukewarm water is enough to do the trick.

The yellow liquid stuff, in and of itself, is really no cause for immediate concern. Bull snakes (like all members of the Pituophis group)are messy snakes, as are Indigos, big Kingsnakes and other large active colubrids. Elapids, such as cobras and mambas and such are the same way. As mentioned earlier, a large water bowl that the snake can curl up in and soak helps a lot. Most of these animals take a large amount of pleasure from pooping the their water bowls while soaking. They also have a great deal of fun overturning the water bowl and crawling through the mix of feces, water and saturated newspaper bits and spreading it all over the glass of the cage, or taking a rat and beating it against the side of the cage until blood and stuff is smeared everywhere (especially Indigos). It's just what they do and is a big part of the fun of keeping them.

If this is, in fact, a recent wild-caught specimen, it would be worth it to take a fresh fecal sample to your vet and let him look for bugs and worms and such. Just get a spoon or something (something that you can hide from your spouse/girlfriend/mother and deny ever having taken)and scoop the whole mess into a zip-lock baggie and take it to the vet while it's as fresh as possible. A lot of people just "shotgun" all wild-caughts and fresh imports with Flagyl (for protozoans, amoebae, flagellates, etc.) and Panacure (a vermifuge). I don't like doing that, because I don't like unecessarily medicating animals. I prefer to see what I'm shooting at.

: Hello my bull just shed a couple of day's ago and he has been very touchy since then. I tried to feed him yeserday but he would not eat and while he was in his feeding container he pooped some liquid yellow stuff. He is a little lumpy down by his vent. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this? Thank You Matt

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]