kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Example of black pine w/ lots of pattern.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 02, 2003 at 17:14:41:

In Reply to: Example of black pine w/ lots of pattern. posted by azsuboc on April 02, 2003 at 07:47:07:

:This is a 2002 animal.

:Don Gallagher

Juvenile lodingi often exibit quite a bit of pattern that becomes more obscured as they mature. That picture really doesn't look unusual for a juvenile.

I lived in Mobile County Alabama for a few years and collected a number of lodingi (before they came under protection). Several of the adults I collected showed nearly that much pattern. In fact, most of them have some amount of visible pattern. Very few are pure black with no pattern at all.

Of the intergrades I've seen that came from the easternmost extremety of their range, were intergrades with Southern or Florida Pine (mugitus) and the pattern on them was sort of a brownish or tan color with some white suffusion. I have seen some pure lodingi with some solid chocolate brown on them too. Most of the intergrades you will find now were bred that way in captivity crossing mugitus with lodingi for whatever reason someone would want to do that.

I've only seen a couple of examples from the Mississipi populations which represents the westernmost extent of the range, so I can't really provide much info on them.

I can't really state this as fact, but from what I saw, those that came from the Cottage Hill/Schillinger Road area down to Grand Bay and Theodore came closest to being solid black. Those that came from the area north of the Airport up to Creola and over to Citronella seem to have more visible pattern. I don't have any explanation for that, other than perhaps it is artifact influence from an early range overlap between melanoleucus and lodingi. The ranges of the two are separated now by a hundred miles, but who knows what they were a few hundred years ago. melanoleucus and mugitus intergrade over a wide area across a line from extreme eastern Alabama, across Georgia and into southern South Carolina.

On the other and, I have hatch clutches from both areas in which the juveniles showed a high degree of variation as babies, but they seemed to always mature to look pretty much like the parents.

Pine snakes are so secretive and in some areas of their ranges so seldom seen that it is really difficult to get clear pictures of where the range actually ends. Ruthveni has such a restricted range and is so seldom seen that for many years it was known from only 3 verified examples. Now I occasionally see them for sale. It was at one time considered one of the rarest snakes known.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]