kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks folks :-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by YvonneS on April 07, 2003 at 14:10:38:

In Reply to: Re: Heat Mat Question posted by Oilfan94 on April 07, 2003 at 12:13:04:

As I suspected....thanks for the help. Don't think I'll be able to get to a show, there's not many of them in the UK cos they're putting lots of red tape in the way of them, sigh. Will follow the instructions in the book though and give the shop guy's advice a miss.

Thanks again.

Yvonne

:Forget about the wooden cage and get a glass tank. Get a heat mat and put it on the under side of the tank. Control the heat mat with a rheostat (dimmer) or thermostat. Make sure to measure the temp right on the bottom of the tank over the UTH.

:As for the pet store guy...sounds typical, trying to make a sale...good chance that the snake is not in good health as well. Find a breeder or a local show/sale. You will get a better price and a better snake.

:If you have the book then you should be able to set up an enclosure that will be healthy for a corn snake. It's not recomended that you put the heat mat into the enclosure.

:Good Luck

:

::Hi folks,

::I actually posted this question to the corn sname forum before I noticed there was a beginner's forum, doh! I appreciate and have taken on board the answers I got from the corn snake folks, but since I got a couple of conflicting replies, I thought i'd try for a few more opinions :-)

::Basically I'm looking into getting a corn snake (got my Corn Snake Manual and been checking out care sheets. My local reptile centre sells start up kits for hatchling corn snakes which include a wooden based vivarium and heat mat. My question is, is it safe to put a heat mat inside the viv, as underneath obviously wouldn't work...I'm corncerned about the mat or the thermostat malfunctioning and burning the snake, or the snake burrowing into the subsrtae and getting burned.I am also wondering how waterproof the things are in case any water from a bowl got onto the thing...I don't want a fried snake or my house to turn into a towering inferno!

::Thanks for your help :-)

::Yvonne

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]