kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Rosy boa questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by chrish on February 24, 2003 at 14:06:01:

In Reply to: Rosy boa questions posted by Nicodemus on February 24, 2003 at 12:22:00:

First of all, you should post on the Rosy Boa forum, where the other Rosy Boa people hang out.

:However, I seem to be having trouble finding any books on rosies. Any suggestions for titles or places to look?

There aren't really any good books on Rosies, IMO. Have you looked at www.rosyboas.com and www.rosyboa.com? Both sites have good captive care info.

I've read pretty much everywhere that ideally one should just get an undertank heat pad, and only use a heat lamp if one is having trouble keeping the heat up (during the winter usually). Well I'm planning on using a 20 gallon long. What's the best pad to use?

It would be better to use an undertank heater that is designed for use with reptiles and then plug it into a inline lamp dimmer so you can control its output.

:How messy do these snakes get? This will be my first snake. But I assume you can tend to just scoop out any messes as soon as you see them and do a complete bedding change every month or so?
:Do they get excessively stinky? I'm also assuming as long as I keep up with the dailty cleaning, smell should be minimum.

That would be a good cleaning regimen. I doubt you would ever smell the snakes cage with that regimen (well, you can smell the Aspen shavings!).

:Now I know you've all heard this question asked a million times (judging by past posts). Whats a good substrate in terms of ease of cleaning and good for the animal? I was thinking aspen shavings would be best. Any other suggestions?
:I kinda want something nice looking (so I'd like to stay away from newspaper).

Aspen Shavings are the best substrate, period. I have used them all, and I always end up back on aspen.

:Also, how does one decide what to feed?

Rosy Boas and other Erycines do not have the ability to open their mouths as widely as other snakes due to constraints on their skull flexibility (their skulls are modified for burrowing). Therefore, only feed mice about the same diameter as the head of the snake. This means a foot long rosy boa would probably be eating pinkies or fuzzies still.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]