kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HOTSHOT...NO NEED TO BE RUDE...READ ON...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by glenn bartley on January 16, 2003 at 00:52:06:

In Reply to: HOTSHOT...NO NEED TO BE RUDE...READ ON... posted by peterfromme on January 14, 2003 at 17:31:54:

Now who is being rude? Hotshot may have been direct and to the point in plain language, but it did not appear rude to me, in my opinion. On the other hand, you posted in all caps which, as I understand it, is considered to be quite rude by internet standards. To sometimes STRESS a word using caps is fine, but all caps is generally considered rude to obnoxious as I understand it. Secondly, to immediately come down on someone and say that they wasted everyone's times is, in my opinion, also quite rude. In fact, in my belief, it is not even correct. I read Hotshot's post and did not consider it a waste of my time nor of DJ's. DJ is the one who originally sought info about snakes to include small boas, and that was only a few days ago. Yes, maybe his situation has changed, and maybe he just changed his mind and wanted a big boa, that is his prerogative. Or maybe he is going at this all wrong. I do not necessarily like seeing someone getting told that they should go for something other than what they want, I would rather see someone suggest that they first do the proper research to start off right, and maybe even that they start with an easier species. Yet when it comes to your suggestion such as the one that DJ is quite familiar with Redtail Boas, I find that, in my opinion, to be rather absurd. This is the beginner's forum, and he is posting a question about an apparently normal behavior for otherwise healthy appearing young boas, while at the same time expressing his concern that the behavior is abnormal. How experienced with Redtail Boas do you really believe him to be? In fact he posted essentially this same question on at least three forums. I posted an answer under the General Forum after doing some research on the topic. Hotshot also posted an answer to this question under at least one of the forums. I wonder - what have you contributed to the knowledge base surrounding the initial question that this thread is based upon? As I see it, you have, in my belief, contributed diddly squat!

As if those comments by you, referenced above, and your use of all caps, were not enough - you go on to further chastise Hotshot by suggesting to him/her what he should be concerned with (something about who purchases burms), and then say that he/she should not waste our time and he/she should post something worth reading. I wonder, do you see your post as a better quality post than that of Hotshot? Do you think you gave the forum users something that was more valuable reading material? My point here is that if you can post what you did, then why can not Hotshot post what he/she did? You see, at least his/her post had something to do with snakes and there care, but you say, in essence, it just wastes our time.

Now I know my post does pretty much exactly what yours did. As you did give an answer to DJ's question, I did not talk about the answer to DJ's question (but I point out again that I did that in a previous post under the General Snakes Forum). As I see it: my post, as did yours, criticized someone. One of the differences between your post and mine, however, is that, in my opinion, you do so quite crassly, but I do so with rather a bit more respect for your point of view, albeit not for the manner in which you posted it. Another difference is that my criticism is not directed at Hotshot but at you. One other difference is that I state my views as opinion not as fact as you seem, in my opinion, to have done.

I like to be a critic now and again too, so I cannot criticize you for being critical. What I can do, is to be critical of the manner in which you do it.

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]